Sunday, December 12, 2010

FINALLY






























Hi all,
I am determined to update this blog. However, since I have no photos and nothing to say, I don't think it is going to be very interesting!
This last month has been pretty full with the performances I have done with Sisters in Song. We go around to nursing homes, ward enrichment nights, etc. and I play the piano for a group of about 12 ladies. It has really touched my heart as we go around to all the seniors after the performance and shake their hands and wish them a Merry Christmas. Of course, a lot of times they just stare at us, but there have been some special moments. Several times the ladies have had tears in their eyes as they thanked us. They appreciate it so much. It has been a reminder to me this Christmas time that we really do feel happier when we serve others. Even when I haven't played my best, I go home feeling happy that we brightened someone's day. We have two more performances tomorrow and then one next Sunday night, and then we are done for awhile. I loved a Christmas card we got from Belinda Stephens in Aberdeen. It said "When Christ is in your heart, then Christmas is in the air." I hope we can all take the time this year to try to do something nice for someone who is sad or lonely--maybe that person even lives in the same house as us!
I received a sharp reminder yesterday that the best way to help people change is through positive reinforcement and sincere praise--not through criticism. Hope I can do better. Sometimes I tend to dwell on the negative, and this doesn't help anyone. I was glad for the reminder. (even though it was given completely unintentionally).
Oh guess what? I found some photos--hurray. This is our Thanksgiving dinner at Olive Garden

3 comments:

  1. Mom, that was a great post! I really loved the quote from Belinda- and the sincere praise/positive reinforcement reminder. I know that Caden sure does better and is more willing to work at things when he feels the positive reinforcement.
    And fun photos! Ben looks like a hairy cave man with the no-shave thing going on! Sure love that man! :)
    Thanks for the fun read. And thanks for being such a wonderful person- I am so PROUD to have you as my mother and best friend!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I LOOOOOVE the picture of Maya eating.. captures her so perfectly, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How annoying! I commented on this post ages ago, but my comment is not showing up! What the heck? So sorry! It mustve somehow got deleted. Anyways. I loved the post, pictures, and your thoughts. You think you have nothing to say, but your wrong. I LOVE reading what you write, it's so interesting. How neat you can go woerform for those elderly people, it must mean so much to them. And you guys are really talented so they're lucky. My fav part of the Scotland trip was going to sing at an old folks home. We weren't very good, but they loved it. Sang and clapped along. Made me feel so good. Love u xxxx

    ReplyDelete